Thursday, September 23, 2010

New Slinky Sculptures


I've been working on a new Slinky sculpture in the last little bit.  I've had the idea for this piece for over a year, but I'm just now getting the engineering down.  I wanted to recreate the motion of a Slinky as you "juggle" it back and forth in your hands.  After a few failed designs, the one below won out. It's not finished yet, but it is in moderately working condition, so here's a picture:

(P.S. This picture is a composite of 4 separate pictures.)


I also made a static (mostly) Slinky sculpture with some steel I found out in the scrap bin.  This one is inspired by one of my friends who, while playing with one of my Slinky toys, draped it over his finger.  I thought "Hey, that's a cool way to look at a Slinky."  So I made it.

There are lots more things on the way.  Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't even seen these and I'm your wife. I didn't even hear about the last one. I love how industrial they look. It's like the simple machine.

    ReplyDelete